Over the past year or so, I have started to see more businesses and marketers and search engine optimization professionals suggest that blogging is the best kept SEO secret online. I’d have to agree. But I’ve been saying that for several years now. Why is blogging such a great SEO tool?
For starters, every time you update your blog with excellent user focused content you invite the search engines back to crawl it. The major search engines really do love fresh content and every blog post is great search bot food. But, and this is even more important, each blog post is a separate web page, which means every time you publish a new blog post you are giving yourself one more opportunity to be found in the search engines.
Here are several frequently questions related to blogging that I am frequently asked:
1. Should I launch a stand alone blog or should I incorporate as part of my website?
My Short Answer: If you want to only have 1 website for your visitors, then having a blog incorporated in your site is a good bet. If you decide to launch a separate site as your blog, be advised, that like any type of website you need to market it to build it.
2. Should I use a free blogging software platform (such as Blogger) or use a hosted solution (such as WordPress)?
My Short Answer: If you are launching a blog as a hobby or to earn passive income, then a free blogging service is fine. If you are launching a blog for your business, then I ALWAYS recommend a hosted solution.
3. I have no idea what to write about, what do I do?
My Short Answer: Yes, you do! Use your knowledge about your business and write about your customers, industry trends, etc. I always recommend start by reading other blogs in your industry as a starting point or set up Google alerts that about industry topics and take it from there.
To make the most of blogging as SEO, here are a few best practices to make sure you put to work:
- Write unique, user focused blog posts.
- Write blog posts as much as you can.
- Naturally optimize the title of your blog.
- Naturally optimize every single blog post title.
- Make sure you custom design or use a search friendly template for your blog.
- Give your blog time to develop – Rome was not built in a day!
We can talk about the future of the Web all day, but today is today. The search engines still feed on good quality content. Use your blog to create an effective SEO campaign and take it one post at a time!